Since my first entry I have been seeking support from local herbalists; naturopaths; a family doctor; nutritionist to explore how to heal my physical state of being. My general physical health on a scale of 1-10 apparently currently sits at about an 8 but is on the decline, despite good eating habits and exercise….so I needed to dig deeper. After a physical and blood work it comes down to the bitter truth I’m getting “older” so my body needs different things in order to maintain optimal health. In my first entry I spoke about “tremors, triggers and traumas”….the physical naggings I have been experiencing lately like joint pain; muscle aches and headaches are tremors or signals that my body is changing and I need to make changes NOW!!! Lol…on the real though…yep gotta do it. I have already stopped excessive drinking and burning irresponsibly and I haven’t drunk coffee in almost 8 years; which will make the next level of lifestyle changes for my physical a little easier according to my support team. So what’s the plan? How is it gonna go down?
Top 5 Steps of the Eastern Direction Detox:
1. 20-40 min of physical activity a day to increase heart rate. I have re- enlisted my Jamaican personal trainer from 2008 days she makes a fitness boot camp look like Primary School Recess. I also need to integrate more daily stretching/yoga.
2. Breathing deeply 2-4 times a day
(4-6-8-10) I will be doing this first thing in the morning at least once in the middle of the day and again before bed. Inhaling through the nose and exhaling through the mouth.
3. Regular sleep routine….easier said than done when you are an artist that gigs….the key will be consistency and being relaxed before sleep through specific herbal tea relaxants; aroma therapy; meditation; music. And no back to back late nights…. Body needs time to re-energize.
4. Diet (this is going to be huge…I gotta remove toxins…balance hormones….increase my iron, calcium, zinc, Omega- 3′s, and Melatonin….had to invest in a app to help me define all this new vocab. For this overhaul I need the combination of my herbalist; naturopath; and nutritionist…damn it’s like puberty all over again except twisted… Lol…here is a snap shop of the key dietary needs my body has now:
Kale, Dark Chocolate, Fatty Fish Oils, walnuts, eggs, apples, alfalfa, barley, baker’s yeast, beets, cherries, chickpeas, carrots, celery, cucumbers, dates, fennel, oats, olives and olive oil, papaya, peas, plums, pomegranates, potatoes, beans, rhubarb, rice, tomatoes, wheat and yams. Seeds such as sesame seeds, flaxseed and sunflower seeds. My herbalist wants more: anise seed, parsley, red clover, licorice, thyme, turmeric, verbena, sage and hops, black kosh kosh and tart cherry juice.
5. Heat: I need to start spending my winters in warmer climates as much as possible and in the meantime regular hot baths and visits to the Sauna at my gym.
As I begin the physical healing journey I will be posting updates on my Instagram Mahlikah. My next entry will focus on the emotional healing which will require major trust and commitment…..Ona:kii for now.